§18b para. 1 AufenthG - Qualified employment with university degree 


You can find out whether your degree is comparable to a German university one via the Anabin database: https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html . The equivalence is fulfilled, provided that your university has been evaluated there with "H+" and your degree as "equivalent". In other cases, you must get a “Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications” from the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen – ZAB):


With a residence permit for qualified employment, you are not allowed to engage in unqualified employment.

Main requirements:

  • University degree (recognized in Germany)
  • Work contract or concrete employment offer
  • Sufficient financial means (including health insurance)
  • Sufficient housing

Disclaimer of the Foreigners' Registration Office Potsdam

The information on this website is merely intended as a guideline. There is no guarantee for the completeness and correctness concerning the information provided on this website. The completeness of the stated documents does not mean that the residence permit will be issued. Each case must be assessed individually. Therefore, the requested documents may vary.